The Fried Egg Tapenade Sandwich is a sophisticated new take on the classic fried egg sandwich. For this elegant version, the egg isn't even fried in a skillet but rather baked right on top of the bread for an easy hands-off way to enjoy eggs. To make the sandwich, simply spread two slices of gluten free bread with the delicious tapenade, top with two pepper rings, and crack an egg into the center. After about 15 minutes, you have a flavor packed egg sandwich that requires minimal effort or cleanup!
Fried Egg Tapenade Sandwich
Makes 1 Open Faced Sandwich
Click Here for Printable Recipe
1 large red or yellow bell pepper
1/4 cup Eggplant & Bell Pepper Tapenade
2 slices light gluten free sandwich bread (I prefer the kind by Ener-G )
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
Salt & Pepper, to taste
Red Pepper Flakes, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a small baking sheet with aluminum foil and spritz with a layer of olive oil spray.
2. Use a small paring knife to carefully cut off top and bottom stems of bell pepper. Lift out core and seeds of pepper, then cut two rings (about a half inch thick) from the widest part of the pepper. Reserve the remaining pepper for another use.
3. Place bread slices on prepared baking sheet. Spread about two tablespoons of tapenade on each piece of bread, then place one pepper ring in the center of each piece.
4. Carefully crack an egg into the center of each pepper ring (but don’t worry if the yolks end up off center, it will still taste the same!). Season the eggs with basil, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
5. Transfer baking sheet to oven, being careful not to jostle the eggs. Bake for 13-16 minutes or until eggs reach desired level of doneness.
6. Remove baking sheet from oven and move bread slices to plate. Enjoy as an open faced sandwich!
Nutrition Information--approximately 265 calories per sandwich (entire recipe)