Curry Spiced Roasted Eggplant is a phenomenal side dish for an Indian inspired meal (or really any meal). For this simple side, the eggplant is sliced, smothered in a flavor packed spice rub, and quickly broiled until tender. This easy yet amazing recipe is based on Bainjan Bhaja from Veg Recipes of India.
Curry Spiced Roasted Eggplant
Makes Two (Side Dish) Servings
Click Here for Printable Recipe
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons water
1 medium eggplant
Optional-- Nonfat Greek Yogurt for Topping
1. Cut off ends of eggplant, then slice into 1/2 inch slices. Pat eggplant dry with a paper towel.
2. In a small dish, stir together chili powder, coriander, garam masala, salt, and turmeric until combined. Add in lemon juice and water and stir until a paste forms.
3. Use your hands to rub spice paste onto both sides of eggplant slices. Place eggplant on a large plate and let marinade for 15 to 30 minutes.
4. Turn on broiler to high. Cover a baking sheet in aluminum foil and spray with nonstick spray.
5. Arrange spice rubbed eggplant on baking sheet and place under broiler for 5 minutes.
6. Remove baking sheet from oven and spray tops of eggplant with olive oil spray, then use a spatula to flip slices. Return eggplant to oven and broil 3-5 minutes more, or until eggplant is tender. Watch closely to ensure eggplant doesn't burn.
7. Divide eggplant slices between two plates, top with a dollop of yogurt, and enjoy!
Nutrition Information--approximately 65 calories per serving, not including yogurt (1/2 of the recipe)