Red Lentil Dal, adapted from this recipe by Vegan Richa, is a simple yet amazing way to serve red lentils. The comforting dish of slow simmered lentils makes the perfect accompaniment to any Indian meal. Red Lentil Dal is so creamy and perfectly spiced that it will have you scraping the bowl clean!
Red Lentil Dal
Click Here for Printable Recipe
1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/2 teaspoon canola oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon fresh ginger root, grated
1/8 teaspoon chili flakes
1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
dash of ground allspice
1/4 cup canned diced tomatoes, not drained
1/4 cup red lentils
1 cup water + more as needed
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Salt, to taste
1 tablespoon scallions, finely chopped + more to garnish
1 tablespoon fresh parsley or cilantro, chopped + more to garnish
1. Spray a medium skillet with nonstick spray and heat to low.
2. Add mustard, cumin, and fennel seeds to skillet. Toast seeds for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
3. Add oil to pan, then add garlic, ginger, and chili flakes. Sauté for 1 minute.
4. Stir in turmeric, coriander, and allspice.
5. Stir in diced tomatoes and their juices. Sauté for 3 minutes.
6. Raise heat to medium, then add lentils and 1 cup of water to skillet. Bring to mixture to simmer, stirring occasionally.
7. Once lentils are simmering, reduce heat to low, cover skillet, and simmer for 15 minutes.
8. Uncover lentils and continue to simmer, uncovered, adding additional water a tablespoon at a time (if necessary) to prevent lentils from sticking. Cook lentils, stirring occasionally, for 15-20 minutes more, until liquid is absorbed and desired texture is reached. Season with salt, to taste.
9. Remove pan from heat and stir in lemon juice, scallions, and fresh parsley/cilantro. Spoon in serving bowl & garnish with additional herbs, if desired. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information--approximately 205 calories per serving (Entire Recipe)