The Egg Nest French Toast Sandwich is a combination of several tasty dishes- French toast, PB&J, fried eggs- they’re all mashed together in this wacky but amazing sandwich. Originally, I was just going to make an egg nest for my meal(an egg fried in the center of a slice of bread) but after discovering some jam that needed to be used up, I was off on a tangent that led me to this delightful creation. Try it today for a fun and easy meal!
Egg Nest French Toast Sandwich
Click Here for Printable Recipe
2 slices light gluten free sandwich bread (I always use Ener-G Light Tapioca )
2 tablespoons unsweetened original almond milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1 wedge Light Swiss Laughing Cow Cheese, room temperature
1 tablespoon Double Berry Balsamic Jam (or substitute with 1 tablespoon of your favorite store-bought jam)
2 tablespoons sugar-free pancake syrup
Special Equipment--small biscuit/ cookie cutter or small jar for cutting hole in center of bread
1. Separate egg yolk from egg white, placing egg yolk in a small dish to use later and placing egg white in a small mixing bowl. Add milk, vanilla, nutmeg, and ginger to bowl with egg white. Whisk until ingredients are combined then set aside.
2. Lay bread slices flat on a cutting board. Use biscuit cutter or jar to carefully cut out the center of each bread (Don’t throw out the centers!)
3. Spread each half of the cheese wedge on each slice of bread then spread the jam on top of cheese. Carefully place bread slices together to form a sandwich (it’s okay if some of the filling oozes out).
4. Place sandwich in egg white mixture and let soak for 1-2 minutes. Use a spatula to flip, and let soak for 1-2 minutes more.
5. Spray a medium skillet with nonstick spray and heat to medium -low; add sandwich to skillet. Dip bread centers into egg mixture and add to skillet beside sandwich.
6. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until toasted on the bottom. Carefully flip sandwich (and bread centers).
7. Gently pour egg yolk into center of bread, then cover skillet with a lid and let cook for 3 minutes.
8. Uncover skillet, and flip bread again. Continue to cook, uncovered, 2-4 minutes more, until egg reaches desired level of doneness.
9. Use a spatula to transfer sandwich, and bread centers to plate. Drizzle with pancake syrup & enjoy!
Nutrition Information--approximately 245 calories per serving (entire recipe/ 1 sandwich)