Polenta Lasagna is a hearty and delicious vegetarian meal, slightly adapted from a Clean Eating Magazine recipe. The nontraditional lasagna is filled with layers of polenta, kale, and black eyed peas for a simple yet delightful entree.
Polenta Lasagna With Kale
Makes 4 Large Servings
1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
5 cups kale, chopped (use pre-bagged and chopped kale to save a little time)
1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
1 cup canned black eyed peas, drained
1/4 tsp. dried basil
1 tbsp. red wine vinegar.
Salt & Pepper
2.5 cups low sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup unsweetened original almond milk
1 cup gluten free polenta (like the kind by Bob's Red Mill)
1 tbsp. fresh tarragon, finely chopped
1/2 tsp. dried basil
Salt & Pepper
Fresh Parsley, for garnish, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9" inch square Pyrex dish with non stick spray.
2. To prepare the filling, add olive oil to a large saucepan and heat to low. Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
3. Raise heat to medium. Slowly fold in half of the kale and stir for 30 seconds or until it begins to cook down. Fold in remaining kale and pour in chicken broth.
4. Continue to cook kale for 4-6 minutes or until it is tender and beginning to wilt. Stir in black eyed peas.
5. Season kale with basil, salt, and pepper. Remove pan from heat and stir in red wine vinegar. Set aside while you prepare the crust.
6. To prepare the crust, place broth and milk in a medium saucepan and bring to a low boil, stirring occasionally.
7. Pour polenta into saucepan in a steady stream, whisking constantly. Cook polenta, whisking almost constantly, until it begins to thicken, 8-10 minutes.
9. To assemble the pie, spread half of the polenta mixture in an even layer on the bottom of prepared Pyrex dish.
10. Carefully scoop kale/pea mixture on top of polenta and smooth out. Top kale layer with remaining polenta and spread into an even layer.
11. Bake polenta pie for 35-40 minutes or it until is beginning to turn golden brown on top. Let cool for 5 minutes. Top with fresh parsley, cut into quarters, and enjoy!
**Make Ahead Option-- Prepare pie as directed through Step #9, cover dish with aluminum foil and refrigerate up to 24 hours. Once ready to prepare, let sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes. Bake as directed at 350 degrees, for 40-45 minutes or until heated through & golden brown.
Nutrition Information--approximately 252 calories per serving