This recipe was developed of necessity when I found myself with a very limited amount of time for dinner. I was planning on making Giada DiLaurentiis' taquitos but ended up converting the stove top portion of the recipe to a quicker microwave variation. The final result turned out absolutely delicious- crispy tortillas with a cheesy vegetable filling. Don't worry if your tortillas break or tear- mine did but it certainly didn't affect the taste! Keep this meal in mind for nights when you don't have time to stand over the stove.
Spinach and Bean Taquitos
1/4 cup pinto beans
1 wedge Laughing Cow Light Swiss cheese, broken into pieces
1/4 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. parsley
1/2 cup packed baby spinach
2 (6 inch) corn tortillas, check for gluten
1 slice fat free Cheddar cheese
Salt and Pepper, to taste
Optional-- hot sauce, for serving
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick spray. Set aside.
2. Place beans in a microwave safe bowl and microwave 1 minute, or until beans are softened.
3. Use the back of a spoon to mash the beans slightly. Add in cheese wedge, cumin, chili powder, and cumin.
4. Cover bean mixture and microwave 30 seconds or until cheese is melted. Stir to evenly incorporate all ingredients.
5. Stir in spinach and season mixture with salt and pepper. Microwave 10 seconds or until spinach begins to wilt.
6. Lay tortillas on a flat surface. Place half of the filling in a log shape in the center of each tortilla. Roll up each tortilla tightly around the filling, then place tortillas seam side down on baking sheet.
7. Tear cheese slice into 4 strips and place 2 strips on top of each taquito.
8. Bake taquitos until cheese is melted and tortilla is golden and crisp around the edges, 12-15 minutes.
9. Use a spatula to transfer taquitos to serving plate and drizzle with hot sauce, if desired.
Nutrition Information--approximately 208 calories per serving