While there may be countless mushroom burger recipes out there, BBQ Bella Burger is my version of the classic vegetarian dish. The meaty and juicy portobello mushroom gets the star treatment in this recipe as it gets coated in a spicy dry rub, smothered in a delectable sauce and finally blanketed in melty cheese. Who needs meat when you have mushrooms?
BBQ Bella Burger
1 large portabella mushroom cap, stem and gills removed
1/2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
1.5 tsp BBQ Dry Rub * (Use your favorite spice blend or try one of the recipes below)
2 tbsp. HG BBQ Sauce**
1 slice fat free cheddar cheese
2 slices gluten free sandwich bread
zero-calorie butter spray
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. herbes de provence
1. Place mushroom in a medium bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Rub mushroom on all sides with dry rub. Set aside.
2. Spray a medium skillet with nonstick spray and bring to medium heat.
3. Add mushroom to pan, rounded side up, and brush top with 1 tbsp. of BBQ sauce. Cover pan, and cook, 4-5 minutes.
4. Remove lid and flip mushroom. Brush with remaining BBQ sauce and top with cheese slice. Re-cover and cook until mushroom is softened, 4-5 minutes more.
5. While mushroom is finishing cooking, toast bread then immediately spritz one side of each piece with butter spray. Sprinkle the buttered side of each piece with garlic powder and herbes de provence. Place bread on serving plate, seasoned side up.
6. Place mushroom on one slice of bread then top with remaining bread slice. Cut sandwich in half diagonally, and enjoy.
Nutrition Information--Approximately 209 calories per sandwich
*Spicy Seasoning Blend--http://spicysweetpotato.blogspot.com/2012/05/spicy-seasoning-blend.html
*Sweet & Spicy Rub-http://spicysweetpotato.blogspot.com/2012/07/sweet-and-spicy-rub.html
**Hungry Girl BBQ Sauce--http://spicysweetpotato.blogspot.com/2012/09/hg-bbq-sauce.html