If your family is split between wanting beef burgers and turkey burgers then salmon burgers are the perfect compromise that everyone can enjoy. Today's recipe is the perfect blend of fresh salmon, vegetables, herbs, and spices that yields a light and flavorful burger.The fantastic thing about these salmon burgers adapted from Cooking Light, is that there is no need for any binders or fillers- the patties are just salmon and veggies.
Salmon Burgers with Honey Mustard Sauce
Makes 8 Burgers
1.5 lb salmon filet, skinned and cut into 1 inch pieces
3 tbsp dijon mustard
3 tsp lemon zest
3 tbsp fresh tarragon, roughly chopped
1.5 tbsp shallot, roughly chopped
1 small green bell pepper, roughly chopped
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1.5 tbsp honey
8 large butter lettuce leaves
1. Place 1/3 lb of salmon, 1.5 tbsp of the mustard, and lemon zest in food processor. Pulse until smooth. Spoon purée into a large bowl and set aside.
2. Place remaining salmon, tarragon, shallot,bell pepper, salt and pepper in food process, pulse 5-6 times or until salmon is coarsely chopped and ingredients are incorporated together.
4. Add chopped salmon mixture to puree and stir gently until ingredients are evenly combined. Form salmon mixture into 8 even patties and place on a large plate. Cover burgers and refrigerate at least 30 minutes (but no more than 6 hours).
5. Preheat grill pan to medium heat and spray with nonstick spray.
6.To make the sauce, stir together honey and remaining 1.5 tbsp of mustard in a small bowl. Set aside.
7. Place salmon burgers on grill and cook 3-4 minutes per side, or until desired doneness is reached.
8. Place each burger in the center of a lettuce leaf and top with honey mustard sauce. Wrap up your burger and enjoy!
Nutrition Information--approximately 175 calories per burger