Eggplant Rollatini from Hungry Girl is the absolute perfect dish for when you're craving Italian food. This version of Eggplant Rollatini is quite healthy but no one will even notice since it tastes so decadent. A delicious mixture of ricotta cheese and spinach, is rolled up in thin eggplant slices and covered in marinara sauce and cheese. The eggplant rolls are then baked to melted, bubbling perfection.
1 large eggplant, ends removed, cut lengthwise into 8 slices
One 10-oz. package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 1/2 cups low fat ricotta cheese
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup liquid egg substitute
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups low-fat marinara sauce (check for gluten)
1 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray two foil lined baking sheets and a 9" X 13" baking pan with nonstick spray.
2. Lay eggplant slices on the baking sheets. Spray with nonstick spray and season with salt. Bake for 10 minutes then flip slices. Bake until soft, about 10 more minutes. Leave oven on.
3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, thoroughly mix spinach, ricotta cheese, basil, egg substitute, garlic, 1/4 tsp pepper, and 1/8 tsp salt.
4. Lay eggplant slices in front of you with the short sides on the top and bottom. Distribute spinach-ricotta mixture among the bottoms of the eggplant slices.
5. Roll up each slice around the mixture, and place them in a single layer in the baking dish, seam sides down.
6. Cover rolls with marinara sauce. Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes.
7. Remove foil and sprinkle rolls with mozzarella cheese. Bake, uncovered, until cheese has melted, 10 - 15 minutes. Serve it up!
Nutrition Information--approximately 305 calories per serving (1/4 of the recipe)