Turkey burgers are often thought of as bland and boring but this recipe, adapted from Eating Well, proves that when cooked properly, they can be quite scrumptious. Mozzarella Stuffed Turkey Burgers is a genius mash-up of pizza and burgers that creates a delectable burger that your whole family can enjoy. The perfectly seasoned turkey burgers are stuffed with cheese and fresh basil, then topped with marinara sauce and more cheese, and finally sandwiched between toasted bread.
Mozzarella-Stuffed Turkey Burgers
Makes Three Burgers
3/4 lb extra lean ground turkey
3 tbsp scallions, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced
1.5 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
3/4 teaspoon lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tbsp. part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
1.5 tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped
6 slices gluten free sandwich bread
1/2 cup low-fat marinara sauce, check for gluten
1.To prepare burgers: Place scallions, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, lemon zest, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Mix until well combined.
2. Add in ground. turkey. Gently combine with your hands, without over mixing until evenly incorporated. Form into 8 thin patties about 4-inches wide and 3/8 inch thick.
3. Combine 3 tbsp.cheese and basil in a small bowl. Place an equal amount of mixture in the center of 4 patties. Cover with the remaining patties and crimp the edges closed (so cheese mixture is enclosed in the center).
4. Preheat grill pan (or large skillet) to medium heat. Add burgers and cook, 4-5 minutes per side, or until turkey is cooked through.
5. While the burgers are cooking, place the marinara sauce in a small saucepan and heat over medium-low heat on the stove.
6. Toast the bread slices.
7. To assemble the burgers, spread 3 slices of bread with about 1 tbsp.marinara sauce, then top with a burger,1 tbsp. more of marinara sauce, and 1 tbsp of cheese. Top the burgers with the remaining slices of bread.
Nutrition Information--approximately 210 calories per serving