If you're craving some greasy Fish & Chips, try this Hungry Girl Fish & Chips makeover recipe instead. You still get crispy fish strips and salty fries but in a much healthier package. To achieve the perfect gluten-free breading, I used a combination of finely ground Chex and fluffy homemade bread crumbs.
Fish & Chips
3/4 lb (12 oz) cod, cut into even strips (about 8)
2/3 cup Corn Chex
1/4 cup homemade bread crumbs (see recipe below)
1/2 cup liquid egg substitute
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning
salt & pepper
Turnip Fries (see link below)
Optional Sauces--ketchup and tartar sauce
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a slotted broiler pan with nonstick spray (or place a cooling rack in a rimmed cookie sheet)
2. In a small food processor, grind Chex to a breadcrumb-like consistency. Transfer to a shallow dish.
3. Stir in breadcrumbs, garlic powder, Old Bay, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
4. Place fish strips on a plate, and cover with egg substitute, turning fish over to coat evenly.
5. Give one fish stick a gentle shake, then transfer to the breadcrumb mixture. Turn to coat on all sides than move to prepared pan. Repeat with remaining fish.
6. Spray tops of fish sticks with nonstick spray.
7. Place in oven and bake for 15 minutes, or until fish is flaky and the tops of the strips are brown.
8. Plate fish beside "chips". Serve with ketchup and tartar sauce for dipping, if desired.
Turnip Fries (You can also use this method to make butternut squash fries)
Toast 1 slice Light Gluten Free Sandwich Bread. Break into pieces and place in small food processor. Sprinkle with salt & pepper. Pulse until bread crumb consistency is reached. Makes approximately 1/4 cup.