Tomato soup is warm and comforting but it can also be a tad boring. If you want to jazz up tomato soup, try this delicious recipe for Tomato & Fennel Soup. The fennel adds an entirely new dimension of flavor in addition to being a nutrient powerhouse. The soup requires a little care and attention to develop the flavors but its worth it when you taste it!
Tomato & Fennel Soup
1 medium fennel bulb
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes
8 oz. crushed tomatoes
1.25 cups low sodium chicken broth, check for gluten
salt & pepper
crushed red pepper flakes, optional
1. Trim the fennel and reserve the fronds. Coarsely chop the fennel bulbs.
2. Spray a large saucepan with nonstick spray & heat over medium heat. Add the onion and chopped feenl. Cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are quite tender, about 15 minutes. Respray with nonstick spray, if necessary.
2. Add the fennel seeds, and continue cooking for 3 minutes more. Stir in the garlic and cook for one more minute. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add in red pepper flakes to taste if desired.
3. Add the crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, and broth. Partially cover the pot and bring to simmer. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer the soup for 30 minutes.
4.Use an immersion blend to puree the soup until silky smooth (or let the soup cool and carefully use a blender).
5. Serve garnished with fennel fronds.