Under the Coconut Tree
Escape the blustery, frigid temperatures with Thai-Style Tilapa, a delightful dish that will transport you straight to the tropics. A coconut curry broth adds a sunny new twist to plain-jane tilapia in this variation on an Ellie Kreiger recipe.
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp. curry powder
1/4 cup unsweetened light coconut milk
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
2 (4 oz) tilapia filets
2.5 cups baby spinach leaves
3/4 cup cooked brown rice (about 1/4 cup uncooked)
1/4 cup parsley, coarsely chopped
1 tbsp. lime juice (fresh if possible)
salt & pepper
1. Spray a medium saute pan with nonstick spray and heat to medium heat. Add garlic and saute until fragrant, about a minute
2. Respray the pan and stir in curry powder. Cook, stirring frequently, for 30 seconds.
3. Add the coconut milk, broth, and a 1/4 tsp salt. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
4. Season the tilapia on both sides with salt & pepper. Arrange tilapia in saute pan and spoon broth over top. Cover pan and cook until the fish flakes easily with a fork, 5-7 minutes.
5. In the meantime, place the spinach in a microwave safe bowl, cover tightly and microwave for 1 minute and 30 seconds (or until steamed thoroughly).
6. Divide the brown rice between two shallow bowls. Top rice with cooked spinach. Place one tilapia filet on each portion.
7. Stir the parsley and lime juice into the sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle the sauce evenly over tilapia filets and serve.
Nutrition Information--approximately 250 calories per serving