Rosemary Cauliflower Burgers with Creamy Pumpkin Spread
1/4 of a medium head of cauliflower,
1/4 cup + 1 tbsp. cannelini beans
1/2 tsp. dried parsley
1 tsp. fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1/4 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
Salt and Pepper
2 slices light gluten free sandwich bread
4-6 cremini mushrooms, thickly sliced
Salt and Pepper
Drizzle of Balsamic Vinegar
1 recipe Creamy Pumpkin Spread (see below)
1. Using a cheese grater or box grater, grate the cauliflower head into a mixing bowl (you should end up with approximately 2/3 cup of grated cauliflower).
2. Place 1/4 cup of the cannelini beans in a microwave safe bowl and microwave until tender, 20-30 seconds. Use the back of the spoon to mash beans into a nearly smooth paste.
3. Add mashed beans to grated cauliflower. Stir in remaining 1 tbsp. of beans (leave whole), parsley, rosemary, cumin, Worcestershire, Dijon, salt, and pepper. Mix until all ingredients are well combined
4. Taste for seasoning and add more spice, if necessary. Use your hands to form cauliflower mixture into 2 thin patties and place in a wax paper lined tupperware container. Refrigerate burgers for at least 2 hours (or make them ahead and refrigerate up to 3 days).
5. Once you're ready to cook the burgers, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a medium oven safe skillet with nonstick spray and heat to medium high heat.
6. Place the burgers in the skillet and cook until golden brown on the bottom, 3-4 minutes. Use a small spatula, to carefully flip burgers and cook for 2-3 minutes more, or until golden brown on both sides.
7. Scatter mushroom slices around burgers then transfer entire skillet to oven.
9. Remove skillet from oven. Season mushrooms with salt and pepper. Drizzle a dash of balsamic over mushrooms and burger patties.
10. To assemble the burger, lay bread slices flat on a clean, dry surface. Spread 1/2 of the pumpkin spread on each slice of bread. Gently place one burger patty on one slice of bread. Top burger with roasted mushroom slices and press down slightly (you might not be able to fit all of the mushrooms but they make a tasty side dish). Place remaining burger patty on top of mushrooms and again press down slightly. Finish with remaining bread (with the pumpkin spread side facing the burger). Press down gently to keep all the ingredients in place. Plate burger and enjoy! (Don't be afraid to be a little messy!).
Nutrition Information--approximately 265 calories per recipe (including pumpkin spread)
Creamy Pumpkin Spread
1 wedge Laughing Cow Light Swiss Cheese
2 tbsp. pumpkin puree
1 tbsp. unsweetened orginal almond milk
1/2 tsp. fresh rosemary chopped
1/8 tsp. cayenne (adjust according to heat preference)
Salt and Pepper
1. Place cheese wedge in a small microwave safe dish. Cover and microwave, until softened, 8-10 seconds.
2. Add pumpkin puree and almond milk to dish and stir until smooth.
3. Stir in rosemary, cayenne, salt, and pepper and mix until all ingredients are combined. Taste for seasoning.
Nutrition Information--approximately 48 calories per recipe