Homemade Corn Tortillas
Makes 8 Tortillas
Click Here for Printable Recipe
1 cup gluten free masa harina (can be found in the Hispanic section of most major grocery stores, Maseca brand is gluten free)
1/2 cup + water
1/4 tsp. salt
Optional Equipment--Tortilla Press
2. Use your hands to roll dough into a log shape and then cut into 8 equal pieces. Cover dough with a damp paper towel to keep moist.
4. Heat a small stainless steel skillet over medium high heat (don't add any oil or spray).
5. Use a small spatula to loosen the edges of the tortilla all the way around until the tortilla is loosened from the bottom piece of wax paper. (If tortilla crumbles, reroll pieces into a ball and knead in additional water, then re-press.)
6. Place tortilla in preheated skillet. Cook 2-3 minutes, then carefully flip with a small spatula. Cook 2 minutes more, or until slightly crisp.
8. Repeat process with remaining 7 dough balls. Once you get accustomed to the process, you can press one tortilla while another is cooking, and it will move much quicker.
Nutrition Information--approximately 55 calories per tortilla
|Homemade Tortillas-- Piled High With Toppings & They Still Don't Break!|