Eggplant & Black Eyed Pea Curry
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp fresh ginger, minced
3/4 lb eggplant (about 1 small or 1/2 of a large eggplant), peeled and cut into 3/4 inch chunks
2.5 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp fennel seed
1/8 tsp. cayenne powder (adjust according to how desired heat level)
1/4 cup red lentils
1/4 cup brown or green lentils
1/4 cup lightly packed fresh cilantro, chopped (plus extra for garnish)
2.5 cups vegetable broth or low sodium chicken broth, divided
1 (14.5 oz) can black eyed peas, drained
1 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoons tomato paste
Salt & Pepper
1. Preheat a medium pot over medium low heat and drizzle in the olive oil. Add garlic and ginger and saute for for 1 minute.
2. Stir in the eggplant, curry powder, fennel seed, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp. pepper and cayenne. Pour in 1/2 cup of the broth and stir curry for 2-3 minutes or until eggplant begins to cook down.
3. Add in both types of lentils, cilantro and remaining 2 cups of vegetable broth. Raise heat to high and bring to boil.
4. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium low, cover, and let curry simmer for 35-40 minutes, or until lentils are tender and eggplant is soft. Stir from time to time.
5. Add in black eyed peas and tomato paste. Continue to simmer over low heat for 8-10 minutes to let the flavors meld. Stir in lemon juice and taste for seasoning.
6. Scoop curry into serving bowls and garnish with additional cilanto, if desired.
Nutrition Information--approximately 190 calories per serving