Black Bean Nacho Burger
Makes One Burger
1/4 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
2 tbsp. Corn Chex, crushed
1 tbsp fresh salsa
1 slice fat free Cheddar Cheese, torn in pieces
2 tsp. liquid egg substitute
2 tsp. scallions, finely chopped
1/8 tsp. chili powder
dash of cayenne, if desired
1/8 tsp. black pepper
2 slices light gluten free sandwich bread*
Optional Toppings: butter lettuce(or any type of greens), hot sauce, salsa
1. Use a potato masher to smash beans until chunky, leaving some partly whole. Stir in crushed Chex, salsa, cheddar cheese pieces, egg, scallion and black pepper. Mix until ingredients are well combined.
2. Shape mixture into a patty and place on a plate. Cover plate with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 30 minutes or overnight.
3. Spray a small skillet with nonstick spray and heat to medium. Add patty to pan and cook until golden brown on one side, 4 to 5 minutes. Flip patty and cook until underside is golden, 4 to 5 minutes.
4. Once burger is almost finished cooking, begin toasting sandwich bread.
5. After burger is golden on both sides, remove from pan and and place on toasted bread. Top with lettuce , hot sauce, and/or salsa, if desired.
Nutrition Information--approximately 220 calories per burger
* Feel free to use any type of gluten free bread, or wrap that you like. Sandwich bread is something that I like, and always have on hand so it's my go-to bread option.