Italian Mashed Potatoes
Polenta (aka cornmeal) is the perfect gluten-free blank canvas. You can use it as the base for stews, sauces, or as in this case, a hearty side dish. The only slight problem with polenta is that it can often be time consuming to achieve the perfect creamy texture. In this recipe, from Isa Chandra Moskowitz, the polenta reaches the ideal consistency with minimal effort. Not to mention, adding in chopped broccoli provides a nice burst of color, flavor, and texture.
2 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth, check for gluten
1/4 tsp. salt, plus more to taste
1/2 cup gluten free polenta (such as Bob's Red Mill)
2 cups very well-chopped broccoli stalks and tops
a few pinches of black pepper
1. In a medium saucepan, bring the broth and salt to a boil.
2. Add the polenta in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly as you pour it in.
3. Stir in the broccoli and turn the heat down to low.
4. Continue cooking the polenta for 15 minutes, stirring often.
5. Turn off the heat and cover. Let sit for 10 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Taste for seasoning and serve hot!