Green Pepper Panini
1/2 of a green bell pepper, seeded and cored
1 tsp. jalapeno, finely diced (adjust for your heat preference, remove seeds for a milder heat)
1/4 cup dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 tbsp. prepared salsa
1 fat-free cheddar cheese slice
2 slices light gluten free sandwich bread
1 tbsp. Promise butter spread
a few sprinkles of scallions, chopped
hot sauce, to taste
1. Heat a panini press to high.
2. Cut green pepper into thin strips.
3. Place bell pepper and jalapeno in a microwave safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave until soft, about 2 minutes. Let stand, covered until cool enough to handle
4. Meanwhile, combine beans, salsa, and a dash of salt in a small bowl. Mash beans with a fork or potato masher until a chunky paste starts to form.
5. Spread bean mixture on one slice of bread.
6. Top bean mixture with cheese slice, then pile on bell pepper, jalapeno, and scallions.
7. Drizzle with hot sauce.
8. Top with remaining slice of bread. Spread Promise on outside of both slices.
9. Cook the sandwich in the panini press until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Slice in half and enjoy!