This recipe from Isa Chandra Moskowitz turns the humble portobello mushroom into a meaty, juicy centerpiece. First, the mushroom is marinaded to absorb as much flavor as possible than it's grilled to perfection. With vegetables this delicious, who needs meat?
Grilled Portobello Mushroom
1 portobello cap, stem removed
2 tbsp. white wine
1/2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
2 tsp. gluten free soy sauce
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1. In a small bowl, whisk together all marinade ingredients.
2. Place portobello gills side up in another bowl. Pour marinade over top.
3. Let marinate for at least a half hour, spooning marinade back over mushroom, every 10 minutes or so.
4. Preheat grill pan to medium high heat. Spray with nonstick spray.
5. Place the portobello gill side up on the grill, and cover. Cook for about 5 minutes or until grill marks appear.
6. Flip mushroom, and cook another 3-4 minutes (until the center is soft and juicy).
7. Remove from grill and let side for a few minutes prior to slicing. Slice into 1/2 inch pieces and serve.