Gyros are an absolutely delectable Greek dish that usually features lamb piled on fresh pita bread with lots of tzatziki sauce. They used to be one of my favorite meals but since I can no longer eat the meat or the pita, my gyro options have been pretty limited lately. However, after making 5 minute flatbread, I realized that the flatbread was the perfect vessel to try vegetarian gyros. Instead of lamb, my gyros are stuffed with a scrumptious TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein) filling that’s flavored with lemon, herbs, and spices. If you think you’re not a fan of TVP, this recipe will convince you otherwise. In fact, it’s my new favorite way to enjoy TVP. For the gyro sauce, I decided to create a Radish Tzatziki sauce, inspired by this recipe from Bobby Flay. The finely grated radishes provide a delightful peppery bite to the yogurt sauce and I actually prefer it to the traditonal tzatziki that’s made with cucumbers. Once you pile the glutenfree flatbreads with the the lemony herb filling and a dollop of radish tzatziki, you’re left with a marvelously simple and meat free version of a gyro!
TVP Gyros with Radish Tzatziki Sauce
Makes 4 small gyros (1 Large Serving or 2 Small Servings)
Click Here for Printable Recipe
1/2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP), (you can find TVP in the grains section of large supermarkets or online; I use Bob's Red Mill)
1 teaspoon gluten free soy sauce
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon double concentrated tomato paste
1 tablespoon fresh oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon chili powder
1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
3/4 cup vegetable broth, check for gluten
Zest and Juice of 1/2 of a small lemon (you can use the other half for the tzatziki sauce)
1-2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
4 small gluten free flatbreads (I added finely chopped fresh parsley and oregano to flatbread batter for an extra boost of flavor)
Salt & Pepper, To Taste
Radish Tzatziki Sauce:
1 small radish, ends removed and finely grated
1 tablespoon nonfat Greek yogurt
1-2 teaspoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
1-2 teaspoons fresh oregano, finely chopped
Zest and Juice from 1/2 of a small lemon
Salt, To Taste
1. Start by preparing the tzatziki sauce- add all of the ingredients to a small bowl. Stir to incorporate all ingredients, then set aside
2. For the gyros--add olive oil to a small skillet and heat to low. Add garlic and saute, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
3. Add TVP, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, oregano, and spices (cumin, coriander, paprika, chili powder, marjoram ) to skillet. Season with salt and pepper, and stir to combine.
4. Pour in broth and raise heat to medium. Sauté TVP mixture 7-10 minutes, until liquid is absorbed and TVP is tender (if it starts to bubble too much, reduce heat to medium low).
5. Once TVP is cooked, remove skillet from heat then fold in lemon zest, lemon juice, and fresh parsley. Taste for seasoning.
6. To assemble gyros--wrap flatbreads in damp paper towels and microwave 25-30 seconds or until slightly warm and pliable. Lay flatbread flat on work surface and scoop approximately 1/4 of the filling into the center of each.
6. Spread a dollop of tzatziki sauce on top of each gyro.
7. Fold up flatbread and enjoy! If you want, you can wrap the bottom of each gyro in a small square of aluminum foil-- it helps to hold the filling in and makes it more fun to eat. All wrapped in foil, the gyros taste just like what you’d order from a food truck or at a Greek festival!
Nutrition Information-- approximately 90 calories per gyro (1 flatbread, 1/4 of the TVP mixture, and 1/4 of the tzatziki sauce)