Gluten Free Rice crust is a simple to make crust that’s basically comprised of two ingredients--rice & egg. All it takes to make this delicious crust is to combine cooked rice and egg, then press into a pie plate. After 18 minutes in the oven, you have a flavorful rice crust with delightful crispy edges that can be filled with any toppings you wish. It's absolutely perfect for savory quiches and pies.
Gluten Free Brown Rice Crust
Makes One (9-inch) Crust
Click Here for Printable Recipe
1 cup brown basmati rice
1 cup vegetable broth
1.5 cups water
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup liquid egg substitute
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Salt & Pepper, to taste
1. Add rice, broth, water, and salt to a medium saucepan. Stir to combine, then bring to boil over high heat.
2. Once mixture is boiling, reduce heat to low, cover, and let simmer for 44-46 minutes, or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9-inch ceramic pie plate with nonstick spray. Scoop 2 cups of cooked rice (there will be extra rice, just save for another use) into a large mixing bowl. Add egg, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper to rice. Stir well to evenly incorporate all ingredients.
4. Scoop rice/egg mixture into center of pie plate, then use a combination of your hands and the back of a large spoon, to spread crust evenly along the sides and bottom of pie crust. Try to avoid holes and thin spots, but it’s okay if it’s not perfect.
5. Bake crust 17-18 minutes or until slightly golden. Now it’s ready to fill!
Nutrition Information--approximately 435 calories per entire crust (55 calories per serving if pie is cut into 8 servings)