Lemony Beet & Turnip Salad is the perfect light and refreshing salad to enjoy all summer long.The tasty salad is composed of roasted baby beets and turnips that are tossed with spinach, olives, capers, basil and a simple lemon dressing. The best part of this delicious salad is that since it marinades in the fridge for a few hours, you have make it completely ahead of time, and simply take out when ready to serve!
Lemony Beet & Turnip Salad
Click Here for Printable Recipe
8 ounces baby beets (approximately 5-6 beets, any combination of colors)
8 ounces turnip root (approximately 1 medium turnip root)
1.5 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
2 cups baby spinach
2 ounces kalamata olives, pitted & halved (approximately 1/3 cup)
2 tablespoons capers
Zest and Juice of 1 Lemon
1/4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
Salt & Pepper, To Taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with olive oil spray.
2. Scrub exterior of beets, then cut off stem and root ends. Cut into small wedges and place on baking sheet. Scrub exterior of turnip root, then chop into small pieces, similar in size to beet wedges. Place on baking sheet with beets.
2. Drizzle vegetables with olive oil, then season with thyme, marjoram, salt and pepper. Stir to coat vegetables in oil and herbs, then transfer to oven and roast for 22-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender and golden around the edges. Stir halfway through cooking.
3. Once the roasting vegetables have about 5 minutes left, begin the remainder of the salad by placing spinach in a large bowl. Fold in olives and capers, then season with salt and pepper.
4. After beets/turnips are finished roasting, remove from oven and carefully scoop into bowl with spinach mixture. Toss salad gently until spinach leaves begin to wilt and ingredients are evenly incorporated. (After leaves don’t wilt as much as you’d like, simply microwave salad 20-30 seconds).
5. Add lemon zest and juice to salad and toss to coat ingredients. Let salad cool at room temperature for 10-15 minutes, then cover with plastic wrap and transfer to refrigerator for at least 2 hours to marinate ( but no more than 8 hours).
6. Take salad out of refrigerator about 10-15 minutes prior to serving and sprinkle with fresh basil. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information--approximately 160 calories per serving (1/2 of the recipe)