Strawberry-Basil Grilled Cheese is simple to put together yet sophisticated in flavor. The delectable toasted sandwich utilizes the classic and delicious combination of strawberries, balsamic, and basil. The addition of creamy Swiss cheese and toasted bread creates an absolutely delightful dish. So grab some fresh strawberries and make this sandwich as soon as possible!
Strawberry-Basil Grilled Cheese
Makes 1 Sandwich
Click Here for Printable Recipe
3-4 strawberries, stems removed and sliced
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon honey
2 wedges The Laughing Cow Light Creamy Swiss Cheese
4-6 basil leaves, thinly sliced
2 slices light gluten free sandwich bread (I always use Ener-G )
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1. Place strawberries in a small bowl. Stir in balsamic and honey until berries are evenly coated in liquid then let strawberries sit for 15-20 minutes.
2. After strawberries have marinated, lay bread slices flat on a cutting board. Spread each bread slice with one wedge of cheese.
3. Arrange strawberry slices on top of one of the bread slices. Sprinkle strawberries with basil.
4. Top with remaining bread slice to form a sandwich. Brush the outside of top bread slice with 1/2 teaspoon of the olive oil.
5. Spray a small skillet with nonstick spray and heat to medium low. Add sandwich to skillet, flipping it so that the oil side is down. Brush top of sandwich with remaining 1/2 teaspoon of oil (top bread slice should be the one that hasn’t been oiled yet).
6. Cook sandwich for 3-4 minutes, or until toasted and golden on the bottom. Use a spatula to flip sandwich, and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes more or until toasted on both sides.
7. Transfer grilled cheese to serving plate, cut in half and enjoy!
Nutrition Information--approximately 255 calories per serving (1 sandwich)