This legendary Italian dish is composed of succulent chicken breasts enveloped in a wine and mushroom sauce. The original version uses Marsala wine obviously but any sweet red wine will work fine. This version, developed by Rocco DiSpirito, takes a much healthier approach by eliminating all the butter and the majority of the fat. Don't fret though, he uses clever tricks like adding Greek yogurt to retain all the flavor and essence of Chicken Marsala.
4 oz. chicken breast, pounded thin
2 tbsp + 1 tsp. gluten free flour
2 tbsp egg substitute
4 oz mushrooms (5-6 mushrooms), sliced thin
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tbsp red wine
1 tbsp. fat free Greek yogurt
1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
salt & pepper
1. Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Once pan is hot, spray with nonstick spray.
2. Place 2 tbsp. flour in a shallow dish and egg substitute in another shallow dish. Dredge chicken in first flour, then egg, being sure to coat it completely.
3. Add chicken to skillet and coat until golden brown on both sides, about 5-6 minutes total. Transfer chicken to a plate and tent with aluminum foil to keep warm.
4. Wipe out skillet with a paper towel and respray with nonstick spray. Return pan to stove and raise heat to high.
5. Once pan is hot, add mushrooms. Cook, without stirring for 3 minutes to allow mushrooms to brown.
6. When mushrooms are golden brown, add garlic and season with salt. Cook, until garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute.
7. Stir remaining 1 tsp of flour into mushrooms. Add in the wine and chicken broth, and bring the sauce to a simmer.
8. Simmer until the sauce has the consistency of gravy, about 3 minutes.
9. Remove pan from the heat. Stir in the yogurt, and season with salt and pepper. Spoon mushroom mixture over the chicken, and serve.
Nutrition Information--approximately 243 calories, 4g fat, 34g protein