Time to break out the slow cooker and make this delightful sweet potato chili. It is almost reminiscent of a Mole sauce with a sprinkling of chili and cocoa spices mixed in with the sweet potatoes, peppers and black beans. The recipe utilizes the slow cooker so it can be prepared in the morning and then enjoyed at dinner time. Plus it's basically fool-proof since there's no meat that needs to be carefully monitored.
Sweet Potato Chili
1 large sweet potato, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup diced tomatoes, drained
1/4 cup crushed tomatoes
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp cayenne
1/8 tsp salt
Optional Garnish: hot sauce, cheddar cheese, or fresh cilantro
1. Coat slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Add all ingredients to slow cooker.
3. Combine well with a large spoon.
4. Cover and cook on high or 4-5 hours or low for 7-8 hours (until vegetables are tender).
5. Garnish with desired ingredients. Serve over rice, noodles, or on it's own.