Tonight's meal was influenced by some extra black beans in my fridge that I needed to use. Thus, I made black bean cakes inspired by a recipe from Health magazine. As usual I made a few adjustments to make the recipe fit the ingredients that I had and to make it gluten free. It may seem simple but don't underestimate the flavor!
Black Bean Cakes
Gluten-Free * Vegetarian
3/4 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
1 wedge Laughing Cow light mozzarella cheese, room temperature ( alternatively you can microwave for 5-8 seconds)
1 tbsp. gluten free polenta (I used Bob's Red Mill)
salt and pepper
1 tsp. cayenne
1 tsp. dried parsley flakes
1/4 cup salsa (my favorite is Garden Fresh Gourmet)
1. Preheat oven to 375. Line a small pan with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick spray.
2. Place black beans in a small bowl and then mash with a fork until almost completely smooth. Break cheese wedge into pieces and mix into beans.
3. Stir in polenta, cayenne, salt, pepper and parsley. Mixture should resemble thick cookie
4. Use your hands to form mixture into 2 equal sized cakes ( about the size of your palm). Place on prepared baking sheet.
5. Bake for approximately 25 minutes or until cakes are beginning to turn golden. Meanwhile, heat salsa in a small pan over low heat until heated through.
6. Once cakes are finished cooking, top with salsa and hot sauce.
Nutrition Information--approximately 250 calories.