As an avid sweet potato fan, I consider this to be the ultimate recipe. Nothing can compare to an oven roasted sweet potato smothered in delectable toppings. This recipe reshapes the sweet potato from a common side dish to a revolutionary meal. It's the perfect dish any time your having a bad day- minimum effort for maximum taste.
Deluxe Spicy Sweet Potato
1 large Sweet Potato (12-14 oz), washed and pricked all over with a fork
5-7 Grape Tomatoes, rinsed
1/4 cup Black Beans, drained and rinsed
3 tbsp. Salsa
1-3 tsp of Hot Sauce (depending on your desired level of heat)
1/8 cup low fat Cheddar Cheese, shredded
Salt and Pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line 2 small baking sheets with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick spray,
2. Place tomatoes on one pan and the sweet potato on the other pan. Spray both vegetables with nonstick spray and season with salt and pepper.
3. Roast tomatoes for about 20 minutes or until they are beginning to wrinkle and burst. Remove tomatoes from oven and set aside until potato is ready.
4. Roast sweet potato for about an hour or until tender, flipping halfway through.
5. Remove potato from oven and turn broiler on. Cut the potato lengthwise with a knife and split open slightly. Scoop out one tbsp of potato (a taste for the chef!).
6. Layer salsa into the potato opening followed by an 1/8 cup of black beans. Drizzle with hot sauce. Place tomatoes in potato and top with remaining 1/8 cup of black beans. Sprinkle entire potato with cheddar cheese.
7. Place potato until broiler and broil until cheese is melted (2-4 minutes).