Kale worked so well in fried rice that I decided to try it in a pad thai dish adapted from this recipe . The addition of kale didn’t disappoint as this vegetarian pad thai dish was quite amazing and just as delicious as the Kale Fried Rice. Quick and easy to prepare yet unique in flavor, kale pad thai is the perfect way to add some excitement to your weeknight dinner rotation. To make this dish, , all you have to do is stir fry the broccoli and bell pepper, add the noodles and kale, and then stir in the delicious tamarind sauce. Before you know it, the spicy, tangy, slightly sweet noodles are ready to enjoy!
Kale Pad Thai
Click Here for Printable Recipe
2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons tamarind paste
1/4 cup vegetable broth (check for gluten)
3 tablespoons gluten free soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon chili paste (add more or less depending on desired heat level)
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon Truvia sweetener
2 (7 ounce) packages Miracle Noodles (you can find Miracle Noodles in many major supermarkets or just order them online)
1 tablespoons canola oil, divided
2 cups broccoli florets
1/2 of a red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
2 cups of kale, ribs removed and chopped
1/4 cup liquid egg substitute (like the kind by Egg Beaters)
1/2 cup frozen peas, defrosted
2 teaspoons fresh ginger, finely grated
2 garlic cloves
1. In a small dish, stir together sauce ingredients until combined, then set aside.
2. Drain Miracle Noodles, then rinse thoroughly under water. Use paper towels to squeeze out the excess moisture from noodles, and use kitchen shears to cut them into smaller pieces. Transfer noodles to a microwave safe bowl and season with salt and pepper. Microwave for 1 minute;set aside.
3. Make sure all of your vegetables are prepped, then add 1.5 teaspoons of canola oil to a large skillet and heat to medium high heat.
4. Add broccoli and bell pepper to skillet; stir-fry 3-4 minutes or until vegetables are tender and slightly charred.
5. Move vegetables to one side of the skillet, then add 1 teaspoon of oil to empty side of skillet. Pour in egg and stir fry for 1-2 minutes or until scrambled. Stir eggs into vegetables until combined.
6. Add noodles and kale to skillet and stir to combine all ingredients. Stir fry mixture for 2-3 minutes more.
7. Pour sauce into skillet and stir-fry for 5-6 minutes or until sauce is absorbed.
8. Push noodle mixture to one side of skillet, and add remaining 1/2 teaspoon of oil to empty side. Add peas, ginger, and garlic to pan and saute for about 1 minute or until garlic is fragrant.
9. Combine all ingredients and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes more.
10. Divide pad thai between two plates or shallow bowls & enjoy!
Nutrition Information--approximately 198 calories per serving (1/2 of the recipe)