BBQ Baked Lentils are delightful twist on the summer classic side dish of baked beans. In this Indian-inspired variation, the lentils are exploding with flavor after being simmered in spice-infused broth and then oven roasted in a delectable tamarind barbeque sauce. This simple and tasty side dish makes an outstanding accompaniment to any meal imaginable.
BBQ Baked Lentils
Click Here for Printable Recipe
1/2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon fresh ginger root, finely grated
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/8 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/4 cup lentils
1 cup vegetable broth
1/4 cup crushed tomatoes
2 tablespoons ketchup (check for gluten)
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon Truvia sweetener
1 tablespoon Tamarind Paste
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
dash of ground cayenne (to taste)
Salt & Pepper
16-18 ounce baking dish or ramekin with a lid
1. Spray inside of ramekin with nonstick spray then set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Add olive oil to a small saucepan and heat to low. Add ginger, garlic, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, and mustard seeds to saucepan. Sauté 2-3 minutes, or until seeds are slightly toasted and garlic is fragrant.
3. Raise heat to high, and stir in lentils and broth. Bring lentils to a boil, then reduce to a simmer over low heat. Cover saucepan, and simmer lentils for 15 minutes or until just tender.
4. While the lentils are simmering, whisk together all BBQ sauce ingredients in a small mixing bowl until well combined.
5. Once slightly tender, drain lentils but reserve cooking liquid. Season lentils with salt and pepper, to taste.
6. Add lentils and 6 tablespoons of the cooking liquid to bowl with the barbeque sauce. Stir to combine.
7. Pour lentil mixture into prepared ramekin and place lid on top. Transfer dish to oven and bake for 55-60 minutes or until lentils are tender and the majority of the liquid is absorbed.
8. Garnish lentils with fresh parsley & enjoy!
Nutrition Information--approximately 205 calories per serving (entire recipe)