Oftentimes, cold salads can be a bit boring but Garden Lentil Salad is far from dull. This hearty and flavorpacked salad is comprised of tasty lentils tossed with a ton seasonal produce such as tomatoes, corn, and zucchini. A slightly spicy honey-mustard dressing and fresh herbs are the perfect finish to this easy yet impressive dish.
Garden Lentil Salad
Click Here for Printable Recipe
1 cup lentils
1 dried bay leaf
3 garlic cloves, peeled and slightly mashed
a couple sprigs of fresh thyme
a couple sprigs of fresh rosemary
2 cups vegetable broth, check for gluten
Salt & Pepper
2 tablespoons fennel, diced
5-6 radishes, thinly sliced
1 small zucchini, diced
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup fresh corn kernels (or substitute with thawed frozen corn)
1/4 cup frozen peas, thawed and drained
1/4 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons fresh fennel fronds, chopped (if your fennel bulb already had the fronds cut off, simply substitute with fresh parsley or additional basil)
Honey Mustard Dressing:
Zest and Juice from a small lemon
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons honey
2 teaspoons vegetable broth
1/4 teaspoons chili paste ( use more or less depending on desired heat level)
1 tablespoon fresh basil, finely chopped
Salt & Pepper
1. Place lentils, bay leaf, garlic, thyme, rosemary, and broth in a medium saucepan. Fill the saucepan with water until the lentils are covered with about an inch of water (obviously this isn’t an exact measurement; just be sure the lentils are covered in plenty of water so they cook evenly).
2. Bring lentils to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 17-20 minutes or until lentils are tender but not yet mushy. Drain lentils, then remove bay leaf, garlic cloves, and herb stems. Transfer lentils to a bowl and season to taste with salt and pepper. Let cool while you prepare the remainder of the salad.
3. To prepare the honey mustard dressing, simply whisk together all of the dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
4. Once all of the vegetables are chopped, you’re ready to assemble the salad. Add fennel, radishes, zucchini, tomatoes, peas, and corn to bowl of lentils. Stir to combine, then season with salt and pepper, to taste.
5. Pour dressing over salad and stir to combine. Fold in 2 tablespoons of basil and 1 tablespoon of fennel fronds. Cover dish and refrigerate salad until chilled, about 2 hours.
6. Right before serving, garnish salad with remaining basil and fennel fronds and taste for seasoning. Divide salad between two shallow bowls or plates and enjoy!
Nutrition Information--approximately 295 calories per serving (1/2 of the recipe)