Tomato & Kale Quinoa Muffins, inspired by Savory Quinoa Muffins from The Fitnessista, are the ideal recipe to make if your looking for a fun new way to serve quinoa. The quinoa muffins are loaded with tasty vegetables ranging from kale to spinach to cannellini beans and they make quite the adorable side dish. Your guests will never guess how easy this dish is to throw together either- simply combine all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl and scoop into the muffin tins. After about 15 minutes of baking, you have delectable quinoa muffins!
Tomato & Kale Quinoa Muffins
Makes 12 Muffins (3 Muffins per serving)
Click Here for Printable Recipe
1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons quinoa
3/4 cup vegetable broth (check for gluten)
4 whole thyme sprigs
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons liquid egg substitute
1 cup loosely packed baby spinach
1/2 cup kale, stems removed and finely chopped
1/4 of a bell pepper, finely diced
2 tablespoons gluten free rolled oats
1/2 cup grape tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup canned cannellini beans, drained
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Salt & Pepper, to taste
1. To cook the quinoa, stir together all quinoa ingredients in small saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to low, cover, and cook 12-15 minutes or until broth is absorbed and quinoa is tender. Remove thyme stems and fluff quinoa with a fork.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 12-cup muffin tin thoroughly with nonstick spray.
3. Add all muffin ingredients (egg substitute through Salt/Pepper) to a large mixing bowl. Stir well to combine , then taste for seasoning.
4. Fold cooked quinoa into muffin mixture and mix until combined.
5. Divide quinoa muffin “batter” between prepared muffin cups.
6. Bake muffins 26-30 minutes, or until they are slightly golden and crisp on top.
7. Let muffins cool in the pan 8-10 minutes then use a knife to gently scrape around the sides of each muffin and loose it from the pan. Use a small spatula to lift muffins gently out of muffins tin and place on cooling rack. Let cool 3-5 minutes more before serving.
8. Divide muffins between plates (three per serving) and enjoy with a knife and fork! (They’re slightly crumbly to eat by hand).
Nutrition Information--approximately 140 calories per serving (3 Muffins)