Chipotle Cauliflower BBQ Sandwiches were inspired by a genius recipe I saw on Beard & Bonnet for Pulled Cauliflower BBQ Sandwiches. For their dish, the cauliflower is pulsed in a food processor and then transformed into amazing vegetarian BBQ. For my version of cauliflower BBQ, I mixed the pulsed cauliflower with crumbled tofu, tons of spices, and a delectable chipotle BBQ sauce a tasty flavor combination. The BBQ mixture is then spread onto a baking sheet and baked until crispy and golden. After baking, its simply a matter of slicing the BBQ into thin strips, placing on toasted gluten free bread, and smothering in more BBQ sauce. You will be shocked how delicious humble cauliflower and simple tofu can be when prepared this way!
Chipotle Cauliflower BBQ Sandwiches
Serves Two (Makes Two Sandwiches)
Click Here for Printable Recipe
6 ounces extra firm lite tofu (such as Mori Nu Light Extra Firm Tofu)
1/4 of a medium head of cauliflower
1 tablespoon liquid egg substitute
1 teaspoon gluten free cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
4 slices light gluten free sandwich bread (such as Ener-G Light Tapioca Loaf)
Salt & Pepper
Chipotle BBQ Sauce--
6 tablespoons HG BBQ Sauce (Entire Recipe)
2 teaspoons canned chipotle in adobo, finely chopped (check for gluten)
1.5 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons tomato paste
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a small baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray thoroughly with olive oil spray.
2. To prepare the Chipotle BBQ sauce, whisk together all sauce ingredients in a small bowl until combined. Set aside.
3. Wrap tofu in paper towels and squeeze gently to remove excess moisture. Place in a medium mixing bowl, then use a fork to crumble into small pieces. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Place cauliflower in the base of a food processor and pulse until cauliflower is the consistency of breadcrumbs. Scrape cauliflower into bowl with tofu.
5. Add in egg substitute, cornstarch, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, and oregano. Season with salt and pepper, then stir thoroughly to combine ingredients.
6. Add 2 tablespoons of chipotle BBQ sauce into cauliflower mixture and stir well.
7. Scoop cauliflower BBQ into center of prepared baking sheet, then use the back of your spoon to spread mixture into an oval, about 10 inches in diameter. Spritz the top with a layer of olive oil spray.
8. Place BBQ in oven and bake 30-32 minutes, or until edges begin to crisp and top turns golden brown.
9. Remove from oven and let cool for about 5 minutes.
10. While the BBQ is cooling, toast the bread slices, then spread the remaining 4 tablespoons of BBQ sauce between bread slices.
11. Once BBQ is cooled, cut into 4-5 thin strips, then cut each strip into 3-4 rectangular pieces (this doesn’t have to be exact, and don’t worry if the pieces crumble a little bit).
12. Use a short spatula to divide BBQ between two of the slices of bread, then top with remaining 2 pieces to form two sandwiches. Cut sandwiches in half diagonally & enjoy!
Nutrition Information--approximately 205 calories per serving (1 Sandwich)