Red Beans & Rice Burritos are hearty and delicious vegetable burritos, packed with Cajun inspired flavors. Ironically, the burritos don’t actually contain any rice but rather toasted cauliflower rice, which makes an amazing substitute. In addition to the cauliflower rice, the delightfully spicy burritos are filled with all sorts of tasty vegetables like portabella mushrooms, kale, and kidney beans. While they may not win any awards for authenticity, these amazing burritos certainly win on taste!
Red Beans & Rice Burritos
Makes 4 Small Burritos (2 Servings)
Click Here for Printable Recipe
1/2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon jalapeno, finely minced
1 portabella mushroom, stem removed & chopped
1/4 cup grape tomatoes, halved
1/4 of a red bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup vegetable broth, check for gluten
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/4 cup crushed tomatoes
1 teaspoon hot sauce (add more or less depending on how much spice you prefer)
1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 cup kale, thinly sliced
1/2 cup Toasted Cauliflower Rice (about half of the recipe)
1/4 cup kidney beans, drained
Salt & Pepper
4 small gluten free wraps or tortillas, about 6 inches in diameter (I used Spinach Oat Flatbread)
Fresh Parsley (Optional), chopped
Additional Hot Sauce (Optional)
1. Add olive oil to a medium skillet and heat to low.
2. Add garlic and jalapeno to skillet, and saute for 1-2 minutes.
3. Stir in portabella, grape tomatoes, and bell pepper. Raise heat to medium, and saute vegetables 5-6 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften.
4. Pour in vegetable broth to deglaze pan, then stir in tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, hot sauce, and liquid smoke.
5. Add in spices (cumin, chili powder, paprika, thyme, coriander) and season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine all ingredients.
6. Raise heat to medium high and bring filling to a low boil. Reduce heat to medium low and let simmer 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. Stir in kale, cauliflower rice, and kidney beans. Continue to cook until all ingredients are heated through, 3-5 minutes. Taste for seasoning.
8. Wrap the tortillas in damp paper towels and microwave for 30 seconds so that they are pliable.
9. Lay tortillas flat on a work surface. Scoop about 1/4 of the filling onto the lower half of tortilla. Drizzle with additional hot sauce and sprinkle with fresh parsley, if desired.
10. Fold up the bottom to cover the filling, then fold in the sides to seal in the filling. Continue to roll up the bottom until you have a burrito! Repeat with remaining 3 tortillas and the remaining filling.
Nutrition Information--approximately 210 calories per serving (2 Small Burritos/ Half of the Recipe)