Frosty Peppermint Chocolate Mousse Pies are delightful mini frozen treats that are a cinch to put together. A simple no-bake crust of rice cereal and yogurt is filled with a silky and decadent chocolate mousse that has a hint of peppermint. Once the pie is filled, all you have to do is freeze for a few hours and you have a marvelous frozen chocolate treat. No one will believe that these impressive and delicious personal pies are gluten free.
Frosty Peppermint Chocolate Mousse Pie
Makes Two Mini Pies
Click Here for Printable Recipe
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons gluten free puffed rice cereal
2 tablespoons nonfat Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon granulated Truvia sweetener
2 teaspoons unsweetened original almond milk
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
2 tablespoons granulated Truvia sweetener
2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons unsweetened original almond milk
1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract
1 Mini Peppermint Patty
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1 tablespoon Truvia sweetener
Special Equipment-- (2) Mini Pie Tins (about 5 inches in diameter)
1. Spray pie tins with nonstick spray.
2. Place two tablespoons of the rice cereal in a ziploc bag and seal tightly. Use a rolling pin to crush cereal into crumbs.
3. Pour crumbs into a small mixing bowl. Add remaining crust ingredients (1/2 cup uncrushed cereal, yogurt, Truvia, and milk) to bowl.
4. Stir crust ingredients until all are evenly incorporated, being sure that cereal gets evenly coated in yogurt. (This might take a little effort but just be patient!) Mash crust mixture with the back of your spoon to create a dough like consistency (Don’t worry, it’s not supposed to be completely smooth).
5. Scoop half of the crust mixture into the center of a pie tin. Working from the center and moving up the sides, use you hands to mold crust into an even layer on bottom of pie tin, then start to mold the edges. When you’re finished, the crust should reach about halfway up the pie tin. Try to make crust as even and smooth as possible. Use the back of a spoon to smooth the sides, if necessary. Repeat with remaining crust and pie tin.
6. Cover pie crusts with plastic wrap and place in the freezer for 30 minutes to set.
1. While the crust is in the freezer, begin the filling--place pumpkin, cocoa, Truvia, 2 tablespoons of milk, and peppermint extract in a small mixing bowl. Stir well to combine ingredients.
2. Break peppermint patty into pieces and place in a microwave safe bowl with the remaining 2 teaspoons of almond milk. Microwave chocolate mixture in 15 second intervals, stirring after each interval, until peppermint patty is completely melted and mixture is smooth (depending on your microwave, this should take 45-60 seconds total).
3. Stir melted peppermint patty into cocoa/pumpkin mixture until well blended.
Finishing the Pie:
1. Remove crusts from freezer, then divide filling between crusts. Smooth the top of filling with back of a spoon, then carefully cover each pie with plastic wrap. Return pies to freezer and freeze for 3-4 hours.
2. Once pies are frozen, run a butter knife along the edges of pies to separate sides of crust from tin. After sides are loosened, run knife under pie, scoop out of tin, and place on serving plate. Repeat with second pie.
3. For the garnish, whisk together cocoa and Truvia in a small bowl until combined. Sprinkle evenly on top of pies.
4. Pick up a mini pie & enjoy!
Nutrition Information--approximately 90 calories per serving (1 Mini Pie)