Zucchini Socca with Balsamic Roasted Tomatoes
Slightly adapted from this recipe--Zucchini Socca from Tasty Yummies
Click Here for Printable Recipe
1 cup gluten free chickpea flour (l used Bob’s Red Mill)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 cup lukewarm water
3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
1 medium zucchini, grated and excess liquid squeezed out
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Balsamic Roasted Tomatoes:
4 cups grape tomatoes
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
Salt and Pepper
Additional Balsamic Vinegar
Fresh Parsley for Garnish
1. Sift the chickpea flour into a medium mixing bowl, then stir in salt and red pepper flakes.
2. Slowly whisk the water into batter until all lumps are removed and batter is smooth.
3. Stir in olive oil until combined. Cover bowl, and let batter sit for at least 30 minutes or up to a few hours.
4. Place a 12-inch cast iron skillet in the oven and preheat oven to 450 degrees.
5. After the batter has rested and oven is preheating, stir parsley and grated zucchini into socca batter.
6. Once batter is ready, begin the roasted tomatoes--line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick spray. Place tomatoes on baking sheet then drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Season with thyme leaves, salt, and pepper. Stir to evenly coat tomatoes. Set aside.
7. After the oven is preheated, remove cast iron skillet and spray with nonstick spray. Pour socca batter into preheated skillet.
8. Place socca and tomatoes side by side in the oven. Bake for 13-16 minutes or until socca is beginning to turn golden on the edges and feels firm in the center and tomatoes begin to shrivel and burst. (The tomatoes may need a few minutes longer than the socca).
9. Once both socca and tomatoes are ready, cut socca into 8 wedges. Top each wedge with a serving of roasted tomatoes. Drizzle with additional balsamic vinegar and finish with an extra sprinkle of fresh parsley, if desired.
Zucchini Socca--approximately 92 calories per slice (1/8 of the recipe)
Balsamic Roasted Tomatoes-- approximately 35 calories per serving (1/8 of the recipe)