If you have any leftovers after making the Mini BBQ Mushroom Loaf, this recipe a delightfully simple and tasty way to change up the original dish just a little bit but still maintain the delicious flavors. To make the sandwich, the mushroom loaf is thinly sliced, layered on gluten free bread, then smothered in an amazing sweet and smoky sauce. After that, the sandwich is simply broiled to warm and toasty perfection!
Sweet & Smoky Mushroom Loaf Sandwich
Click Here for Printable Recipe
1 Mini BBQ Mushroom Loaf
4 slices light gluten free sandwich bread
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Sweet & Smoky BBQ Sauce:
1/4 cup HG BBQ Sauce
1/2 teaspoon molasses
1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
1 teaspoon hot sauce, adjust according to heat preference
1. Preheat broiler to 400 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil and spritz with olive oil spray.
2. To make the Sweet and Smoky BBQ Sauce--In a small bowl, whisk together BBQ sauce, molasses, liquid smoke, and hot sauce until combined. Set aside.
3. Cut mushroom loaf in half crosswise, then cut each half into 6 thin slices (you should end up with 12 slices total).
4. Arrange bread slices on one side of baking sheet, then place mushroom loaf slices on the other side. Spray the tops of both with a layer of olive oil spray.
5. Broil bread and mushroom loaf 2 minutes, then remove baking sheet from oven and carefully flip all pieces. Spritz again with a layer of olive oil spray and return baking sheet to oven.
6. Broil 1-2 minutes more, watching carefully, until bread begins to crisp along the edges.
7. Remove baking sheet from oven but leave all ingredients are baking sheet (you will have to broil the sandwiches again once assembled).
8. To build the sandwiches--sprinkle garlic powder evenly over bread slices. Arrange 3 mushroom loaf slices on each slice of bread, then spoon prepared sweet and smoky sauce over top of mushroom loaf. Spread out sauce into an even layer.
9. Broil sandwiches 2 minutes more, or until bread is golden and loaf is heated through. Plate 2 slices of bread on each serving dish and enjoy the sandwiches open-faced!
Nutrition Information--approximately 260 calories per serving (1/2 of the recipe; 2 slices of bread/ 6 pieces of mushroom loaf per serving)