Pumpkin Polenta with Spinach and White Beans
Click Here for Printable Recipe
1/2 tsp. extra virgin olive
1 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup cannellini beans
2. 5 cups baby spniach
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, or more to taste
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 cup vegetable or chicken broth
1 tablespoon unsweetened almond milk
1/3 cup pure pumpkin puree
1/4 cup gluten free polenta (like the kind by Bob's Red Mills)
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
1. Add olive oil to medium nonstick skillet and heat to medium low.
2. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute.
3. Raise heat to medium. Stir in the white beans and spinach and cook until spinach begins to wilt, 2-3 minutes. Season the beans and spinach with salt, pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, and nutmeg. Reduce heat to low and keep vegetables warm until polenta is ready, stirring from time to time.
4. In a small saucepan, bring the vegetable broth and milk to a boil.
5. Pour polenta into saucepan in a steady stream, whisking constantly. Cook polenta, whisking almost constantly, until it begins to thicken, 8-10 minutes.
6. Stir in pumpkin. Continue to cook polenta mixture until pumpkin is heated through and polenta is desired consistency, 2- 5 minutes more, stirring frequently.
7. Season polenta with thyme, salt and pepper, then transfer to serving dish. Top with spinach and beans mixture, and garnish with chopped parsley.
Nutrition Information-- approximately 270 calories per serving