I actually created this recipe as a way to use up some Brussels Sprouts Relish that I had in my fridge,however, it turned out so fantastic that it’s completely worth making the relish just so you can enjoy the sandwich. The creamy and decadent sandwich is overstuffed with silky Swiss cheese, melty Provolone cheese plus two creamy fried egg patties. And of course , you can’t forget the brussels sprouts relish which is layered in the middle of the sandwich to create the perfect acidic balance to all the richness. Once all of the ingredients are stacked on the bread, the final touch is to wrap the sandwich in foil and toast in the oven until perfectly warm on the inside and golden on the outside.
Ultimate Cheesy Brussels Sprouts Sandwich
Makes 1 Sandwich
Click Here for Printable Version
1/2 liquid egg substitute (like the kind by Egg Beaters)
Salt & Pepper
1/2 cup Brussels Sprouts Relish
1 slice reduced-fat provolone cheese
1 wedge Laughing Cow Light Creamy Swiss Cheese , room temperature
2 slices light gluten free sandwich bread (like the kind by Ener-G )
2 Mini Pie Plates, approximately 5 inches in diameter (I used these)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray mini plates with nonstick spray.
2. To make the egg patties, pour a 1/4 cup of egg into each pie plate, then season eggs with salt and pepper. Carefully place pie plates in oven and bake eggs for 14-15 minutes, or until puffed on top and edges begin to pull away from sides of pie plates. (Leave oven on at 375 degrees)
3. Once eggs are cooked, add Brussels sprouts relish to a small baking dish or oven safe bowl, then place in oven to warm for until you’re ready to add it to sandwich. Place bread in toaster and lightly toast (it will be toasted more in the oven).
4. Place bread flat on work surface, then spread half of the cheese wedge on each slice. Use a rubber spatula to loosen the edges of one of the egg patties, then carefully lift out of pie plate and place on one slice of bread.
5. Remove Brussels sprout relish from oven (again, let oven set to 375), then place about half of it on top of egg patty. Lay provolone cheese on top, then add remaining relish on top of cheese.
6. Remove second egg patty from pie plate then stack on top of relish. Finally, close sandwich with remaining piece of bread and press down gently to help hold the ingredients in place.
7. Tear off a large square of aluminum and spray with a layer of olive oil spray. Place sandwich on foil and spray top of bread lightly with olive oil spray. Next, fold up corners of aluminum foil to form a packet around sandwich.
8. Place foil wrapped sandwich directly on oven rack and cook for 5-6 minutes, or until cheese melts. Carefully move sandwich to serving plate, cut in half, and enjoy!
Nutrition Information--approximately 275 calories per serving (1 sandwich/entire recipe)