As the name suggests, Carrot Cake Bread Pudding Muffins are the wonderful combination of carrot cake and bread pudding into adorable petite sized treats. To make the bread pudding, gluten free bread cubes and grated carrots are first tossed with a spiced milk and egg mixture before being baked into golden, irresistible bread pudding muffins. Luckily, there’s no need to wait for the muffins to cool, just pop ‘em of the pan right away out and smother in the delectable lemon cream cheese glaze.
Carrot Cake Bread Pudding Muffins
Click Here for Printable Recipe
2 tablespoons Truvia Sweetener
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 cup liquid egg substitute
1/2 cup unsweetened original almond milk (like the kind by Silk)
1 teaspoon molasses
1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 slices light gluten free sandwich bread ( like the kind by Ener-G )
1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
Lemon Cream Cheese Glaze:
1 wedge Laughing Cow Light Creamy Swiss Cheese, cubed
2 tablespoons sugar free maple syrup
2 tablespoons unsweetened original almond milk
1/8 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest, finely grated
2 tablespoons nonfat Greek yogurt
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 6-cup muffin tin with nonstick spray (or just spray 6 cups in a 12-cup muffin tin).
2. To prepare the bread pudding, add Truvia, cinnamon, nutmeg to a small mixing bowl and stir until combined. Add egg, milk, molasses, and vanilla to mixing bowl, then whisk to combine all ingredients.
3. Lightly toast bread slices in a toaster, then cut into cubes.
4. Fold bread cubes and carrots into egg mixture, being sure that all of the bread is coated in liquid. Let rest 5 minutes so bread can absorb some of the custard.
5. After 5 minutes, evenly distribute pudding mixture between the 6 muffin cups. (I found that the easiest way to do this was to use a spoon to scoop out the bread first, then once bread is distributed between the cups, evenly ladle the custard on top). Bake bread pudding muffins for 44-46 minutes, or until they begin to caramelize around the edges and pull away from sides of pan. The tops of the muffins should feel firm to the touch and slightly browned.
6. When the muffins have about 10 minutes left to bake, begin making the glaze. Add Laughing Cow to a small microwave safe bowl, cover, and microwave 8-10 seconds or until softened. Add maple syrup, milk, and vanilla to bowl. Whisk to combine ingredients, then recover, and microwave 15 seconds. Whisk glaze again, then continue to microwave in 15 second intervals until heated through (about 45-60 seconds total depending on the power of your microwave).
7. Whisk in lemon juice, lemon zest, and yogurt until smooth. If necessary, adjust the consistency of glaze but adding a little yogurt to thicken or a dash of milk to thin it out.
8. Once bread pudding muffins are finished baking, immediately run a knife of thin rubber spatula around the edges of each muffin to loosen them from the pan. Carefully scoop out muffins and place on serving plate.
9. Drizzle muffins with glaze and enjoy!
Nutrition Information--approximately 38 calories per bread pudding muffin;
approximately 52 calories per bread pudding muffin topped with 1/6th of glaze