The Spicy Egg & Veggie Sausage Sandwich is the perfect example of a simple but phenomenal way to enjoy Veggie Breakfast Sausage. To create this spectacular sandwich, gluten free bread is first toasted and then smeared with a spicy & creamy cheese spread. Next, the bread is topped with a scrumptious pan-seared vegetarian sausage, followed by a spiced oven baked egg patty that couldn’t be easier to make. Close the sandwich with another slice of bread and you’re ready to enjoy this delightful dish for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Spicy Egg & Veggie Sausage Sandwich
Click Here for Printable Recipe
Spicy Cheese Spread:
1 Laughing Cow Light Creamy Swiss Cheese Wedge
1/2- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (adjust according to heat preference)
2 teaspoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
1/4 cup liquid egg substitute (like the kind by EggBeaters)
1/8 teaspoon chili powder
1/8 teaspoon paprika
Dash of garlic powder
Salt & Pepper
1 Veggie Breakfast Sausage (not cooked)
2 slices light gluten free sandwich bread ( I always use Ener-G )
1 teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped
1 Mini Pie Plate (about 5 inches in diameter)
1. Break cheese wedge into smaller pieces then add to a small microwave safe dish. Microwave cheese 7-10 seconds or until softened and spreadable.
2. Add hot sauce and parsley to dish. Stir until all ingredients are combined and a smooth spread is formed. Set dish aside.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray mini pie plate with nonstick spray and set aside.
4. In a separate small dish, stir together egg patty ingredients (egg, chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper) until combined.
5. Pour egg mixture into prepared pie dish and transfer to oven. Bake egg patty 15-16 minutes, or until puffed up and firm to the touch in the center. (Don’t worry, if egg patty falls after removing from oven).
6. While the egg patty is baking, prepare the sausage--spray a nonstick skillet with olive olive spray and heat to medium high.
7. Reshape sausage , if necessary, into a flat even patty, then add to skillet.
8. Cook sausage for 4-5 minutes, or until golden brown on the bottom. Use a spatula to flip patty, then continue to cook 3-4 minutes more or until golden on both sides.
9. Once sausage and egg are finished cooking, toast sandwich bread and place flat on a work surface. Spread half of the cheese spread on each slice of bread.
10. Place sausage patty on one of the bread slices, then stack egg patty on top.
11. Sprinkle egg patty with parsley, and finish off sandwich with remaining slice of bread.
12. Cut sandwich in half & enjoy!
Nutrition Information--approximately 245 calories per sandwich (entire recipe)